Yet again I’ve been very tardy in updating my webiste as I was reminded this afternoon by Ron, one of our regulars. The simple fact is that we’ve been pretty busy and I’ve been adding to our Facebook page more that here, although with less details. Something that has to be rectified.
Now into August (late) and the trout are seen to be feeding well either on or just under the surface. The loch has matured nicely, albeit with some weed that suddenly appeared in July. Now I know that some angler have commented on this, but this appears to be a fact of life since the Environmental Agency banned the use of the only product available to kill the weed. This was some 5 or 6 years ago and no manufacturer has yet to develop an alternative. Probably because it seems to be a small market. When we noticed it, we decided not to cut. Why? Well for a start there is only me, ably assisted by Jimmy when he’s not working. If we did cut, then it’s a massive task to remove it from the loch and then dispose of it. However, the significant reason is that the weed is called Milfoil and it has leaves that look serrated. If just one of these leaves manages to fall on the silt at the bottom, this will develop into a new plant. So while the initial effort appears to be worthwhile, it only exacerbates the problem in future years.
So if you know of anyone working in the chemical industry, just ask if their compnay are developing an aquatic weed killer for use in commerical fisheries – the market would be larger than perhaps they think.
Ok, rant over.
The plus side of having weed is that is provides perfect habitat for the beasties that trout love. The benefit to the trout is that they are now in excellent condition and a large number have clearly put on weight! In recent weeks, very few anglers have returned a blank and most have caught their limit and returned fish. The Donside Anglers recent visit proved successful – so they told me – with every angler catching their 3 fish limit and a good number were thereafter returned. While no BIG fish were recorded, there were a large number of 3 to 3 1/2 lbs bows recorded. One angler reported being broken by a big fish. Brownie seem to be shy recently, but then this afternoon one was released circa 2 1/2 lbs and that was a happy angler.
In terms of what has been working and not, all I can say with so many rising fish, anglers are staying high in the water, whether that’s dry, buzzer or wet. However, as I’ve said before, what worked yesterday may not work today, so it can be a case of trying a few flies before the magic one appears.
When pushed, all I can say it a number of anglers are now fishing on the surface with a variety of dry flies ranging from CDCs to Emergers, from Klinkhammers to Hoppers. The choice will be yours.
Another successful method has been to fish buzzers on a short leader, either as a single point fly, or under a dry fly, used either as an indicator or in it’s own right.
As the majority of anglers have been using any of the above, others have had success with various damsels (what else) patterns and the usual wet patterns; Kate McLaren, etc.
Very few anglers have used lures and when they do, they haven’t identified what
patterns they have used.
We had a visitor recently and, like our anglers, he was successful.
As in the past, my advice is to fish the conditions. By this I mean if it’s very bright and nothing rising, then fish with either an intermediate or a sink tip. If fish are rising, then they are obviously in the higher water, so a floating line should be the order of the day.
Anglers have once again commented upon the quality and very good condition of the fish which is nice to hear.
Besides the Osprey, we also had a visit from a Doe and her 2 offspring
Finally, I must mention Lian McIntosh, a local youngman from near Huntly. He came out for his very first lesson (could only manage an hour) the other night and bagged his very first trout, a rainbow of 2 lbs 2 ozs. A very chuffed youngman and, hopefully, the first of many in the years ahead. Approval for the photogrash has been obtained.
As a reminder to potential anglers considering visiting Arltoch, gone are all the trees that were in the loch and the 3 old larch trees along the south side near the inlet. In addtion, the bull rushes that were close the larch trees have also gone. This means that there is now full access all around the loch, except for the causeway which has always been “out of bounds”
Sunset on 9 Dec 16.
The photos of the loch renovation will remain on this site for a little while longer because so many anglers have talked about them For anyone who has an interest in the work, we estimate that we moved between 800 and 1000 tonnes.
The following photographs were taken on 21 Jul:
The bay in front of the fishing hut/carpark lookjing to the bottom of the loch.
Again the front bay but toward the left.
Another looking toward the bottom of the loch, but taken nearer to the island.
The top end of the loch.
Past photos are follows:
The view from behind the Green Shed.
The view of the bay in front of the car park looking to the top of the loch where the water comes in.
The bay behind the Green Shed.
The view looking straight at the bottom of the island.
Hopefully, self explanatory. But if you’re not sure, the view from the bottom of the loch where the outlet pipes are.
The view from the opposite bank looking toward the island and the top of the loch. Note that the black is where the dried grass, rushes and reeds have now been burnt.
Again, I hope self explanatory. In the past 24 hrs the water has now started to come from behind the island and move up toward the inlet pipes.
The view from the causeway – no fishing from here will remain when we re-open.
Finally, a couple of videos and still photos taken when we were removing the silt.
This photos shows the spoil being dumped at the other side of the loch. When it was completed, we had filled a hole around 12 feet deep by some 30 feet long!